Lip fillers have been around town for a while and
What is lip enhancement?
It is a set of procedures done with the aim of adding volume or restoring the original volume to the lips and smoothen out the lines around the lips and the mouth. It is important to differentiate it with surgical procedures which involve lip implants and is the invasive option.
Why you should consider lip enhancement?
Lips are the ultimate sensual facial feature and one of the first things noticed by the next person. Being the very central feature of the face, they tend to attract a lot of attraction. If the appearance of your lips as thin, lined and asymmetrical bothers you, lip enhancement is a cosmetic treatment that can help you gain confidence.
Some of the changes that a skilled aesthetic practitioner can make are:
- Restore volume to ageing lips
- Add volume to thin lips
- Smoothen the vertical lip lines
- Treat the asymmetrical lower and upper lip by making them more symmetrical
- Refine the shape of lips
What are your treatment options?
There are certain options and approaches that can be made to help you with refining your lip shape and volume that vary from temporary to permanent treatments such as filler injections to lip implant surgery. The popular approach adopted by many patients is to opt for temporary injections and then move onto longer lasting treatments.
Dermal Filler Injections
Dermal filler treatment via administration of injections is a popular non-surgical option that offers temporary lip enhancement at affordable rates. Most popular dermal fillers are composed of hyaluronic acid fillers and the popular ones used are Juvéderm and Restylane. The treatment of Lip fillers given by a skilled and proficient cosmetic practitioner who has got lip fillers course training allows the results to last from 4 to 12 months.
Benefits of dermal lip fillers
- The procedure of the treatment takes only 15 to 30 minutes.
- Precise results can be achieved by adjusting the amount of fillers used when conducted by a skilled surgeon proficient in lip fillers course
- Minimal to no downtime is required after the treatment
- Immediate results can be observed
- The results continue to improve and final look can be viewed within 2 weeks
- Mild side effects include swelling, bruising or redness at the site where the injection was administered. These side effects are rare when treatment is performed by a skilled practitioner and complications are rare too.
Things to consider before getting the treatment
- Treatments have to be repeated periodically to maintain the results as the body breaks down the fillers over time
- Achieving the best of natural results requires a skilled aesthetic practitioner with lots of experience
- Some patients may be allergic to the ingredients that constitute the manufactured fillers. It is better to have a consultation session with your choice of cosmetic surgeon to rule out this problem.
Fat grafting is a treatment that involves using fat from another part of your body and uses it in another space as lip filler. The procedure is a delicate one and must only be handled by people who are experts in fat transfer procedures. With this procedure, an augmented lip contour can be achieved that is quite long lasting.
Benefits of fat injections for the lips
- Fat looks and feels very natural in the lips
- The results are very long lasting and there is no need to repeat the treatment.
- No risk of allergic reaction at all.
- No incisions need to eb made. Hence no involvement of cuts and bleeding.
Things to consider before getting the treatment
- A surgical component is required for the fat injections
- The procedure of the treatment requires a well-trained and expert cosmetic surgeon in order to give you the best possible natural results.
- If results are found to be unsatisfactory, it will be difficult to reverse them as it is final. So, do ensure that you get your hands on a good surgeon and so that such a situation never arises.
Lip implants is a semi-permanent lip enhancement treatment. This procedure requires minimal maintenance and is quite lasting too. Implants are composed of natural human tissues or some artificial materials. Some from a soft pliable silicone rubber or a biodegradable substance. They are perfect for providing noticeable increase in the lip volume. The procedure is slightly invasive. Incisions at the edges of the lips are made to insert the implants. Local anaesthesia is typically used in the lip implant surgery.
Lip implants using natural human tissues have shorter longevity as the body is able to break them down easily due to their biologically nature of the implants. Some of these are:
- autologous tissue implants
The autologous tissue implants are made from natural material such as tissues and fats existing in human body. Fat implants are liquified before inserting them in the lips. The treatment tends to give a very natural volume and touch to the lips.
- homologous implants
The homologous implants also known as Alloderm implants is a good option for patients who do not want to undergo surgery to obtain the needed tissue for the autologous implants. The longevity of these implants varies from person to person.
Benefits of lip implants:
- The surgery takes less than 30 minutes and does not leave any scars when done by a skilled professional.
- The minimum downtime is 1-day while maximum is 3.
Things to consider before getting the treatment done
- A highly skilled cosmetic surgeon is required to carry it out safely.
- In order to remove the implants, another surgery is required.
- Lip implants do not help with the vertical face lines.
- Risk of catching an infection is a possibility.
The most important consideration remains that you choose a cosmetic surgeon who is highly experienced, has good testimonials from his previous clients and an extensive knowledge of the facia anatomy to avoid any complications.